Monday, May 14, 2012

May 15: White Clover and Black Medic: Eating wild

As I write this blog, I"m discovering that there are many websites which discuss eating wild plants such as clover and other wildflowers. I'm not sure if they have always been there or it's a sign of the times that people are looking for cheap organic food. Some of these websites are

And recently I myself have become interested to know what I can eat that grows naturally. Why is this? Are we all preparing for a hunter/gatherer existence once more? I prefer to think that it just makes being outdoors more interesting, and many people are looking for free entertainment these days!

Anyway, here are a couple of flowers, one very familiar and the other you've probably never thought about.

One is White Clover.
White Clover

I remember eating a clover leaf or two as a child -- that it tasted a bit like dill pickle. And I would take about the flower head (especially the purple kind) and suck on the end for a slight hint of sugar. The Art of Manliness website suggests boiling clover to make it taste better. You can also make tea and jelly out of clover, as well as pickle it. Here's a webpage with more information.

Another edible is Black Medic.
Black Medic
It's called "Black Medic" because the seeds are black and "medice" is Greek for "alfafa." The leaves are more course than clover but websites recommend eating the seeds once they turn black, either raw or roasted then ground into flour. Considering how small the plant is this seems pretty time-intensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment