Monday, May 14, 2012

May 13: Beautybush and Wild Raspberry!

Mother's Day! But that does not give me a day off from taking the dogs for a walk. Still, I noticed some flowers that I didn't see before.

The first I saw was a Beautybush, a flowering tree. The flowers are small so I almost didn't notice them.
Beautybush
Butterflies like this tree but it's said that deer don't, so it's a popular one with gardeners. I wonder about that, though, because I came back a day later and all the blooms were gone -- it looked like they had been sucked off! And there were no petals on the ground, so somebody had been enjoying them!

I have to thank my dog Sammy for the next find. He went after a squirrel in a part of the woods I don't normally go to, and was being such a bonehead that he totally ignored my call so I had to go after him. And I discovered a Wild Raspberry bush!
Wild Raspberry
Much prettier than the Black Raspberry bush I found earlier! Of course the fruit tastes good, but many people use the leaves for tea. You have to dry the leaves before making tea, though. Raspberry leaf  tea is said to cause the uterus to shrink, so don't have raspberry tea when you're pregnant unless you're ready to deliver the baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment