Monday, March 12, 2012

March 11 -- Found first wildflower!

I'm not a flower expert -- just someone who appreciates the beauty of nature. I especially like wildflowers because they don't require any work! So I thought it would be interesting to note when the flowers come and go, to make them easier to spot next year.

The first really nice spring day of the year here in Lansing, Michigan, was Sunday, March 11. It was sunny, a bit breezy, but warm enough to go without a coat -- about 60 degrees. 

My two daughters and I took our four dogs to MSU Dog Park in East Lansing to enjoy the day, and found some tiny daisies growing close to the ground. I think they were fleabane. Attached is a picture that looks very much like one of them. Next time I'll provide my own pictures.

Fun fact: John Parkinson, who wrote "Theatrum Botanicum" in 1640, said that fleabane "bound to the forehead is a great helpe to cure one of the frensie," "frensie" meaning a "state of violent mental agitation." 
Maybe that's why they sang: "If you're go-ing to San Fran-cisco, be sure to wear some flow-ers in your hair..." Or maybe just the shock of having a flower pasted to your forehead would be enough to make your stop and wonder what the heck is going on!

1 comment: